Friday, April 18, 2008

April 18th mix

Finally. Here it is. There has got to be something you'll like in this one. Let me know if megaupload works for you folks. I only hope these things will load into your itunes or windows media player or whatever in correct order. If not I guess you can still hear them or maybe just burn them to a CD. As always, if you have any questions let me know. I love this stuff and really enjoy sharing this music. However, as I've stated before what you won't find here are full albums of readily available in print stuff. I'm a member of a DIY punk collectively run record store. I hope you won't need any further explanation of why I'm not into putting up entire albums.

Quick track list:
1. 999 - Fun Thing
2. Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - Strange Dream
3. Killing Joke - Turn To Red
4. Complications - This Is Where It Ends
5. Les Thugs - Flags
6. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Icons
7. The New Bloods - The Secret Life
8. The Bollweevils - Rodney
9. Masshysteri - Tvivel
10. Needles - Twisted Vision
11. Sex Vid - Exorcism
12. Crime Desire - Nadir
13. Acid Reflux - Old Timer
14. Ten Volt Shock - Planned But Abandoned
15. Loisirs - Congratulations
16. ABC Diablo - Superlative People
17. Wounded Knee - Hands
18. Walls - The Crawl
19. Second Wind - Knock On Wood
20. In The Red - Cut Your Eyes
21. Christie Front Drive - Away

In detail:


999 - "Fun Thing"

Finally got the "Biggest Prize In Sport" LP 2 weeks ago. Man, I've been missing out. If there is one thing I've been listening to a lot lately, it's been power pop. From 999 to newer stuff like the Busy Signals, I can't get enough. I love this song!

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - "Strange Dream"

Found some mp3's of this on a random blog a while back. I'd always heard of this band but to this day never seen or heard a single record of theirs. The Joy Division comparison is obvious but then there are some Big Black elements to it. Wow! This is off of their "Talk About the Weather" LP. If anyone has got a copy of that please let me know! I'm always up for trading or buying!

Killing Joke - "Turn To Red"

Whoops. There is almost a skip in there. An interesting one here from an obscure early single. A lot of odd dub / reggae experimentation to it. I definitely like this better than "Nervous System" which is the A-side. They were still a little ways from finding their sound in my opinion. I can't recommend their self titled LP enough!

Complications - "This Is Where It Ends"

Ex-Born Dead Icons. Expect to see a much more from this Complications demo posted here. This shit is so good it blows my mind wide open! This was recorded years ago and released on some CDrs and never went to vinyl. That is a fucking shame. Rumor is they weren't happy with the recording! Hey guys, it's still only a demo! I've been trying to track these songs down for so long. It's great to finally have them. I was flipping out over their 7" on Feral Ward last year but these songs are possibly even better. An LP is in the works for later this year on....you guessed it! Feral Ward!

Les Thugs - "Flags"

Hey! French is these guy's first language but always sing in English just like Complications. A perennial '90s favorite, Les Thugs!!! This is from what ended up being their last LP, "As Happy As Possible" released in very early 1994 on Sub Pop. I remember well since my old roommate, Scott Stopyak bought it at Crazy Bob's back in downtown Jackson and we played the shit out of it at our first apartment on Milwaukee Street. What a dump! I've got a question for people out there: Was this ever released on vinyl? I remember ads saying it was at the time (Scott bought it on cassette) but haven't seen it in over 14 years of searching!

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Icons"

I love the intro to this song. I was foolish and didn't get into this band until 4 years or so ago and didn't really start seeking out their vinyl until recently. This is off their second LP, "Join Hands", Not available on vinyl any longer I don't think but it was reissued and possibly remastered on CD early in 2007, I believe. Shouldn't be too hard to come by. You should get it!

The New Bloods - "The Secret Life"

Something new on Kill Rock Stars! These three ladies are from Portland and play post-punk that falls somewhere between the Au Pairs and Guts Pie Earshot. This song has been stuck in my head for the past two weeks! They put out a 7" that I've been on the lookout for since their interview in Maximum Rock n Roll 7 months ago. We've got this at Noise on both LP and CD. Apparently they only pressed 500 and that was silly because it totally sold out just like I thought it would. A repress on gold is on the way from Kill Rock Stars.

The Bollweevils - "Rodney"

I picked up this Bollweevils "Chicago" 7" a month or so back. I had this song "Rodney" on a tape I'd made of the old MSU student radio show "Punk Is Dead". I think I'm pretty close now to finding every single piece of vinyl that I'd liked that they'd played on that show. I'd almost forgotten about this song. Somehow it's still available through Dr. Strange Records! Only a buck! Sorry, no cover. Just the vinyl. Here. Yeah. Slowly turning back on to the pop punk of the '90s. Sorry, no Schleprock though.


Masshysteri - "Tvivel"

Hot and new from Sweden on Feral Ward. Most people already know the drill. This is basically 3/4 of the Vicious. Their name was actually a song off the last Vicious 7". I can't get over the fact that the guitarist used to be in the Doughnuts. You can pick this 7" up at Extreme Noise or from Feral Ward.

Needles - "Twisted Vision"

Another hot new one. Not sure about the availability of it any more though. I underordered it for our store and barely got a copy for myself. Anyway, this is Martin from Limp Wrist / Los Crudos and members of Talk Is Poison. Say no more. Totally ripping hardcore. Maybe Feral Ward has copies. Ebullition does not. It's on Lengua Armada but he still doesn't have a website as far as I can tell.

Sex Vid - "Exorcism"

Hard to mention this band without bringing up some degree of the hype surrounding them. It's worthy of the hype though. They are from Olympia and have released 3 7"s. Not sure what the early one was called but the second one, "Tania" is already getting to be a tough find. My friend and fellow volunteer at Noise, Brad snagged a couple copies of it and passed one onto me. Anyway, this is off their new 7", "Nests". It's in stock at Noise for the moment. Ebullition may still have some. Bistro Distro is already out. I just checked! Damn, that was fast!

Crime Desire - "Nadir"

This band has slowed it down since the last time around and the singer, Colin has toned down his trademark high-pitched vocals too. I thought the vocals were endearing. Most people referred to them as "that band with the vocals" though. This song is great and I expect it will be on the new s/t LP that should arrive at Noise next week. Everyone else should pick this up direct from Colin's label Life's A Rape or through Ebullition or Vinyl Junkie or something. Or.... or...

Acid Reflux - "Old Timer"

A song off their first 7" on No Way Records which was their demo pressed to vinyl. I've barely gotten a chance to listen to it or their newest one also on No Way. They got behind a ton of stuff I've bought or mailordered recently. So I don't know if this is really the best song off the record or not.

Ten Volt Shock - "Planned But Abandoned"

My favorite band from Germany if not all of Europe these days. Members used to be in the band called Kurt. I believe they broke up some time in '03 or '04. This new band is tighter and faster and that's actually not a bad thing. This is from their new-ish split 7" with the French band Loisirs, who also have a song up next. Not sure how many copies of this split made it to the States. I got mine from my friend Rich's Bakery Outlet distro. Thanks Rich!!! The rest of you may have to check in with X-Mist for this one.

Loisirs - "Congratulations"

Loisirs is French for "entertainment". This is off their aforementioned split with Ten Volt Shock. I love finding all these Euro bands I had no idea previously existed. Apparently, they've been around for quite some time now. It seems unlikely that Stickfigure would still have their stuff in stock but that's the first place I'm going to look. Otherwise, I might have to go in with you on an order from X-Mist! Quick before postage rates jump again in May!!! Shit!

ABC Diablo - "Superlative People"

Scored this 7" off Ebay last month for a measly $15 and domestic postage. It was from the dude who runs 1-2-3-4 Go! Records out in Oakland. He just opened up a all-punk record shop out there. Best of luck to you! Back to the record. Totally sick German metal / HC from the early '90s. I thought I'd never find this record! I actually bid all the way up to $45 but no one countered with any more than $15! Fuck yeah! If you dig these guys you'll probably have to wind up looking on Ebay for their stuff. All OOP and the labels who put them out are all long gone.

Wounded Knee - "Hands"

Another used bin score at Noise. $6. Another early to mid '90s band but from Luxenbourg. Not sure how much else they released. I recently got a 7" comp called "Close Your Eyes And See Death" off of someone on Viva La Vinyl and these guys were on there. Also there is the old "Illiterate" Ebullition comp they were on too. You can still get that one in our used bin from time to time or from Ebullition. Huh. I just found out that the label this was on was a sub-label of X-Mist. Hell yeah. Great label!

Walls - "The Crawl"

Members of Iron Lung and Cold Sweat here. Totally pulverizing mid-paced hardcore that brings to mind Rorshach, Deadguy and Dead & Gone all together. They just put out an LP on Painkiller. We've still got copies at Noise.

Second Wind - "Knock On Wood"

Finally got this missing piece of harDCore history a few weeks ago for $25 at Noise. This is Steve Hansgen (Minor Threat) and Bert Queiroz's (Untouchables, Youth Brigade, Rain, etc) mid 80's band. Minor Threat and Marginal Man influences to it but not quite as good. Still worth checking out for sure.

In The Red - "Cut Your Eyes"

Mike Hale formerly of Gunmoll's new band out in California. In The Red's new album just made it into Noise on CD a few weeks ago. I expect the vinyl on Kiss Of Death in a few weeks. I'm going to place a No Idea distro order next week. This song is actually off a split CD with the band Genrevolta (har har).

Christie Front Drive - "Away"

Probably the "hardest" CFD song. Yeah, I know that's not really saying much but that's what I think when I hear this. Probably too poppy or indie for most folks these days but I still love the shit out of their records. Sadly, it's all OOP these days. Their old label Caulfield closed up for good a few years back and not even the label's distributor, Lumberjack Mordam Music Group carries their CDs anymore. Lemme know if you want mp3's. I've got all of them I think. I had a show all booked for Eric from CFD's new band, the 101 at the 720 Space in the summer of 2006. The rest of the tour fell through so they had to cancel. That would've been a cool show. Oh well.

LINK: Here at megaupload.


That's it for this week. We'll see what I can come up with next week. Any questions or requests please hit me up either here at newgranadampls@gmail.com or my regular e-mail prisoncity@hotmail.com

*If downloading these off the internet doesn't work for you then please hit me up for a CDr copy of it

1 comment:

... said...

Man, a post for every song...GET A LIFE.

I won't be happy until a Loser Life song is up there.